Tuesday 8 January 2013

Teaser Tuesday: The Selection

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading and slightly altered by Coffee, Books & Lipgloss


Basically a CBL TEASER TUESDAY works like this:
• Grab your current read
• Share 2 “teaser” sentences from a random page or a part you rather enjoyed and post it as a teaser.
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share
doesn’t give too much away; you don’t want to ruin the book for others!
• As an option, you can give a short snippet of what you think so far... or not. That's optional.
• Share the TITLE and AUTHOR too, so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser.

For this week's Teaser Tuesday: *drum roll*


Author: Kiera Cass
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Teaser:
"Janelle, my dear," Maxon said as the next girl approached. I smiled at the tired endearment. He lowered his voice, but I still heard. "Before I forget, are you free this afternoon?"

Something kind of knotted in my stomach. I guessed it was a late batch of nerves. 
Thoughts so far:

Well it looks like America's feeling something new for Maxon.

The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games.
I expected some strange devices during the makeover process, or at least a description that would give the impression that she's not used to all of it at all. Sometimes it feels like it's leaning towards the dystopia genre but at times it feels like it was just set in an ordinary country with monarchs instead of a whole new world in fiction; like it's just an ordinary world like those in some chick-lit or romance novel books.

I still can't decide whether I like this book. I have some few complains, which I'm pretty sure that are not new especially those who have read other people's reviews. So for now, I'll hold me judgment other than what I've mentioned above.



You can hop on to the next link for more teasers:


5 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of buzz around regarding this book - and they weren't all that great... I'll be checking back soon to read your review, before I decide if I'll give it a go. Great TT Post :)

    Laurynne @ Coffee, Books & Lipgloss - My Teaser Tuesday Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games is an apt description.I like Selection,hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks for stopping by my TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book until I thought about what I read. It's a typical dystopian book, sort of like The Hunger Games and Wither mix. It's a good book though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser. I have this book on my wishlist, it sounds really great and I have heard so many good things about it. Thanks for stopping by.

    -new follower-
    Katie ~ Turner’s Antics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's dystopian-ish but I am sometimes lost in the setting. It feels 19th century at times (because of monarchs, you know), sometimes it feels futuristic, and sometiems it feels like it's set in a real, modern world rather than a dystopian world.

    Thanks for stopping by! ;)

    ReplyDelete