Wednesday 2 January 2013

Review: Guitar Notes

 Guitar Notes   
Author: Mary Amato
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: On odd days, Tripp Broody uses a school practice room to let loose on a borrowed guitar. Eyes closed, strumming that beat-up instrument, Tripp escapes to a world where only the music matters.

On even days, Lyla Marks uses the same practice room. To Tripp, she’s trying to become even more perfect—she’s already a straight-A student and an award-winning cellist. But when Lyla begins leaving notes for him in between the strings of the guitar, his life intersects with hers in a way he never expected. 

What starts as a series of snippy notes quickly blossoms into the sharing of interests and secrets and dreams, and the forging of a very unlikely friendship.
Challenging each other to write songs, they begin to connect, even though circumstances threaten to tear them apart.



Review:
"When the vibrations of the music make your soul vibrate, you feel the thrum."

Why is it that I am left speechless every time I read a book with a touch of music? This was light to read, didn't have too much drama despite what Tripp and Lyla are going through but despite that it felt like it has a soul. Too bad the ending felt abrupt but despite that it still made me feel and inspired me.

I knew I'd love Tripp the first time I've read the first chapter. I think I just easily fall for fictional characters who loves music and shows how important it is in their lives. But other than that, I enjoyed reading him. His humor reminded me of Augustus (TFIOS) and Paul (HTKARS). Most of the time, he was being sarcastic or funny but each line he throws seem poetic, not to mention his crazy antics against The Termite.

The first time I read Lyla, I thought she was caged and wanted to be free from music. Like totally free from it, but thankfully she just needs to breathe a different air. She's a typical musical prodigy that is cramped up with auditions and rehearsals. She nails everything she plays with her cello but unfortunately, it wasn't her--or it wasn't technically her, but a machine who uses her body.

The songs they wrote were amazing. I said I won't listen to them until I finish reading the book (yes! they're actually available online!) but you can imagine the beauty of it by just reading it. It shows their humor and what they truly feel inside. Every song they make is like an outlet for the things that words can't express.

What's the best thing in this is that the songs are available online at http://thrumsociety.com. There's also a song book at the end of the book, with the lyrics and chords of the songs they Tripp and Lyla wrote.

The only thing that cost its .5 star is the rushed ending. Most of their interaction, although small were recorded almost everyday. I wish there was more about Lyla's recovery. But aside from that, I seriously think that this novel rocks. It thrums.