Saturday 22 December 2012

Review: Take a Bow

 Take a Bow
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: From the fantastic author of The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom & Prejudice comes a story of all the drama and comedy of four friends who grow into themselves at a performing arts high school.

Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business.

For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage.

Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates.

Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform.

The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.

Review:

I was about to give up on this at first because of Sophie but good thing I didn't. Eulberg did a very good job with this that almost covered everything.

Though this book was written in four POVs, it really did worked out for the book. It wasn't confusing at all. There was also raw passion felt from the characters when they're talking about music. I also loved its fast pace which didn't drag everything and add too much drama but still didn't feel like something was cut short from the story.

Oh and the characters. I definitely love how they were all written. The moment I started reading this, I already had it in my mind that Sophie will come out as the lead female protagonist in this and I was expecting myself to like her. But I really hated her. She was, ugh, self-centered and selfish and I really wonder how could people put up with her. What's new with this is I got used to hate manipulative bitches based on how other characters, usually the one narrating the story, interact with them. But in this one, we get to read and see what's going on with Sophie's mind and that's just downright nauseating. She was perfectly molded by the author to symbolize those people who climbs their way to the top no matter who they hurt. I hated her but I loved the way she was written.

Reading Carter, Sophie's boyfriend who is a former child star felt like someone's caged. Although he didn't have much POVs, he clearly delivered the message his character's meant to do. I loved how he was not overly exposed yet he still did well.

Emme and Ethan--oh I love these two. They are the most interesting POVs I've read and not to mention that their friendship was superb. They were each others rock and despite Ethan's self-destructive behavior, he really did care for Emma. Their 'journey' towards happiness was heartwarming and sweet to read, although my heart broke at some parts of it.

This is a story of friendship, fame, betrayal, love and art. It shows how people's mind work under the pressure of reaching their dream and keeping their relationship with others afloat.