Saturday 15 December 2012

Review: Five Flavors of Dumb

Five Flavors of Dumb
Author: Antony John

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: THE CHALLENGE: Piper has one month to get a paying gig for Dumb—the hottest new rock band in school.

THE DEAL: If she does it, she'll become manager of the band and get her share of the profits, which she desperately needs since her parents raided her college fund.

THE CATCH: Managing one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl who is ready to beat her up. And doing it all when she's deaf. With growing self-confidence, an unexpected romance, and a new understanding of her family's decision to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, Piper just may discover her own inner rock star.


Review:

"Music. It's not about those things. It's about a feeling. It's about expressing yourself. It's about letting go." - Kallie

For the nth time, I made a mistake of not reading a book the moment it was recommended to me. *facepalm*

I did expect this book to be good, but I never expected it to win me not just because it's related to music. It slammed home! I never expected any book to make me feel what How to Kill a Rock Star did in my personal perspective but this book definitely came close.

Once again, a book showed us how music could change our lives despite not having the talent to make it. It's the passion that counts and in this book, it was not Josh, Will, Tash, Ed or Finn that made me realise that. It was Kallie and eventually Piper.

The plot itself was awesome. How could a deaf girl manage a band? I'm sure everyone had doubts even those who loved Piper so much but her determination and belief in the band made it all possible.

This was just the right mix I was looking for. It has raw passion, right pull of emotions, some drama and everything else including friendship, family and love.

"Bands fall out. But at the end of the day, they're like family." - Baz

The characters were awesome. It made it more real because of how they were uniquely written. Each of them had their own personality and made the story whole. Even Josh's asshole-ness (is that a word?) made it complete.

I love how it featured Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix. Both legends made the characters love and reverence for music made it all real. I am honestly emotional, like Kallie, when it comes to Kurt Cobain and I was having a hard time trying to hold back my tears while I was reading it at school. I love how the author managed to teach not just Piper but also the readers how these legends rose to fame and how much they've influenced their listeners. I just love reading them here.

This, without a doubt, goes to my list of all time favourite books that I would not get tired of rereading. I hope whoever reads this will also feel that amazingly indescribable feeling I felt.