Friday 14 December 2012

Review: Bared to You

 Bared to You (Crossfire, #1)
   
Author: Sylvia Day
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

Review:

There were push-and-pull moments while reading this book. I like how I see its potential based on its plot and how the characters go together rather than the sexual chemistry they have with each other. Of course, the sexual tension was undeniable at the beginning of the story.

Both characters were royally fucked up and there's something with these two that makes them whole when they're together. Although I've had enough of controlling and dominating men after reading adult novels, there's something about Gideon that makes me okay with it. I think it's his vulnerability he's showing when he's alone with Eva and his obvious attraction to her and not being able to deny it. It made his feelings and relationship with Eva genuine than it would be if he's trying to show his possessiveness without making Eva feel that she has the power over him.

So why were there moments when I felt being pushed away from the story? It's because of the immaturity the characters implies sometimes, and it's not just Gideon and Eva. Even Cary seems immature sometimes, especially in the latter part of the book. I admired Cary since the start of the novel, and I get it that he's also a scarred kid but the way he was acting at the end seems shit. I expected him to be Eva's rock when everything falls down. Or maybe I expected too much from him.

It's also sad that Gideon and Eva maturity towards their relationship stayed the same at the end of the book. I sort of expected them to meet halfway but after compromising, something happens that makes the other one back out. I wish this would change in the second book.

All in all, I liked it. And I get it how others would compare it to FSG but this is far better than that one. The plot makes you keep guessing and reading, which is good in terms of suspense. And the writing, ah! This is so much better. Day has a way of writing characters and scenes vividly without exaggerating it and I thank her for that or else I would have thrown up.