Friday 21 December 2012

Review: Reflected in You

 Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2)
Author: Sylvia Day
My Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: Gideon Cross. As beautiful and flawless on the outside as he was damaged and tormented on the inside. He was a bright, scorching flame that singed me with the darkest of pleasures. I couldn't stay away. I didn't want to. He was my addiction... my every desire... mine.

My past was as violent as his, and I was just as broken. We'd never work. It was too hard, too painful... except when it was perfect. Those moments when the driving hunger and desperate love were the most exquisite insanity.

We were bound by our need. And our passion would take us beyond our limits to the sweetest, sharpest edge of obsession...



Review:



I had my expectations, especially about the maturity of Eva and Gideon's relationship, after reading Bared to You last week. But after reading this second installment, all I had to say was, "What the fuck was that?"



I get it. Their relationship was nothing but normal and was almost based on sex. There wasn't much emotional investment between them other than saying that they desperately need each other every time one of them tries to run away. But each argument ends up with both of them in bed--which is not healthy.


What irks me most is how Gideon recoils from sharing his life with Eva. Sue me for being biased on women but it was totally unfair. I know he's scarred and he is not used to have someone so close to him but the fact that he doesn't want to compromise is stupid. I even understand his possessiveness towards her, making sure that he knows where she is and what she's doing. Eva even mentioned the give-and-take relationship but it was still not visible in them.

Gideon has a totally different way on how to keep those he loves safe and I get it. People have their own ways but the way it was explained at the end of the book was off. I know Eva hates Nathan so much but I didn't expect her to be okay with how Gideon solved the problem. Well probably not entirely okay with it but sort of based on how thankful she was at the last scene.

Let's not forget the issue with Corrine either. He was almost out of his skin trying to tell Eva that she's nothing to him but what did he do? Of all women to hang out and throw off the scent, he chose his ex-fiancee? The way he was acting was like he hates it when Eva spends some time with other guys but it's totally okay for him to spend time with his ex-fiancee, even knowing how much Eva hated her guts. Again with the freakin give-and-take. Worst is he won't even talk to her or give her anything other than, "Trust me, Eva" and "Wait." I think I had enough of those two, it could last for a year.

Well the only thing I disliked with Eva was the damsel-in-distress thing after the break up. Though I understand how invested she was with her relationship with Gideon, I expected her to come out stronger than she was given what she went through in the past.

Yes, I'm disappointed but I'm not giving up in reading this trilogy just yet. Although this book was filled with the insanity of their unhealthy relationship and its effects, their personal issues and never-ending fights; I think the way it was lengthened was necessary to make the healing process for both of them believable. With their kind of relationship, rushing things up is not even an option and I'm glad Day pointed it out when she said that she might write a fourth installment to make Eva and Gideon's relationship quite believable and end up being a healthy one. I just wish things won't be dragging in the next book. We need more answers to some questions or maybe some explanations. After this one, I feel like I don't really know them at all. We need more than running-away-from-each-other-then-fucking-each-other's-brains-after routine which kinda devoured this book. Their shifting personalities were in the way and I hope this will be solved in the next book.