Tuesday 27 November 2012

Review: Outside In

 Outside In (Insider, #2)
Author: Maria V. Snyder
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: Me?

A leader?

Okay, I did prove that there's more to Inside than we knew. That a whole world exists beyond this cube we live in. And finding that led to a major rebellion—between worker scrubs like me and the snobby uppers who rule our world. Make that ruled. Because of me, we're free. I thought that meant I was off the hook, and could go off on my own again—while still touching base with Riley, of course. He's the one upper I think I can trust. But then we learned that there's outside and then there is Outside


And something from Outside wants In.





Review:
"Ponife underestimated you. Hell, we all underestimated you." - Hank


Well, holy shit! Outside In just detonated a bomb inside my head. Phew! I'm glad to say that this exceeded my expectation and is so, so, so much better than the first one. Not that the first one wasn't good, it was!

This takes place a few weeks after Trella discovered that Inside doesn't just have four levels. Construction has been made, a committee was formed, improvements were being planned but then there's still that division among the uppers and the scrubs.

"It is when the child is you. No one hurts my little girl and gets away with it." – Doctor Lamont

In the first book, Trella was shown to us (or at least to me) as a determined, stubborn and fearless scrub who's willing to risk her life for the sake of changing their old ways. In this book we get to meet Trella's vulnerable side; being afraid of responsibilities, avoiding familial connection and even intimate ones.

With more characters, this book made me suspicious with everyone's every move! I felt Trella's confusion and also felt stupid after doubting a character who wasn't bad at all. It kept the excitement going until the last page. Also more about Trella's relationship with Riley and her mother gave the book an ability to tap other emotions other than excitement.

A very unique plot that caught me off guard and made me fall in love with it. Amazingly written, mixed with the right pace of events and full-packed action that would keep you on edge every last page of the chapter.