Sunday 18 November 2012

Review: A Blue So Dark

 A Blue So Dark
Author: Holly Schindler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears.






Review: 
"Sanity is a sonnet with a strict meter and rhyme scheme-and my mind is free verse."


In all honesty, I got this book because of the cool cover and blurb but I didn't expect that this would give me a complete emotional roller coaster ride. In the middle of reading it, I had to pause and take deep breaths and let it all sink in. The weight of the story and its characters made me tear up since the third chapter.

The story, the way it was written, the characterization was amazing. Really amazing! Just like in photographs, it seems that Schindler captured every emotion through words and reflected it to the readers. Every scene Aura had with her mother felt fragile. Even I couldn't move in my bed because I might break something precious.

How in the world would a 15-year-old cope up with her schizophrenic mother alone? It was terrifying to think that she's all alone in this struggle to save her mother, she doesn't even have time for herself. The father-issue she had also pissed me, not because of Aura's way of dealing it but because of her father.

Aura's story will break your hearts but will eventually bring back the pieces. It's emotionally gripping, it felt like I was in the water trying to catch my breath. Seriously..