Sunday 25 November 2012

Review: Inside Out

 Inside Out (Insider, #1)
Author: Maria V. Snyder
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.
I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.



Review: 
"I never said it would be easy. Giving up is easy." - Riley


Inside Out is an interesting book with a different setting compared to other dystopian novels I've read. Having a hard time conjuring up an image that would fit the place where the scene is taking place, I had Inside as a box that caged these people, divided into uppers and scrubs. I imagined the uppers like a hospital, white a squeaky clean. And the lowers surrounded metals for tables, chairs and other stuff.

The story kinda revolved more around Trella, although it was understandable since she was the one narrating the story. But her inability to connect and interact with people made it impossible for us to know more about other characters. Although I like how she developed from being an indifferent scrub to someone who cared enough to risk herself. She seems promising and held my interest until the end of the book.

"You can shoulder all the blame and become a martyr. Provided anyone knows what or who you're martyring for. Or you can accept that some things are important enough to fight for and realize there will be sacrifices along the way." - Riley

The pace of the story was very good, in my opinion and was good enough to keep me on edge and keep on reading. Though some scenes shifted faster than I expected and I had to read back again, the story and its way to climax was like watching a well-planned scheme waiting to unfold. I just wish there was something more about the Travas after Trella and the group gained power during that skirmish in the Control Room. That one felt fast and unconvincing, though I think there's another issue for them to face in the next book. I just had a hard time moving on from Karla because I expected a lot from her.

All in all, it was well-written book, filled with enough suspense and intriguing twists that would keep you on wanting more.


PS,
I love Sheepy!