Thursday 9 May 2013

Review: Shatter Me

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

Review:
“We are killing ourselves by trying to stay alive.”

Holy freakin crap! Mafi is a genius. When I started reading it, I was curious about the format (the number not spelled out and the lack of commas) and the style (crossed out and repeated words). It was my first time to encounter a book written this way but fear not, people. It actually helped. The repeated words emphasized Juliette's feelings without overdoing it. The crossed out words tells us the existing conflict inside her mind.

A few pages in, my heart started to bleed for Juliette and what she went through. A child doesn't deserve a family who doesn't care for her and wants her gone. She doesn't deserve all the condemning words she got from everyone who judged her based on what she doesn't have any choice.

Meeting the boys was something I was looking forward since I started reading the reviews. All the rave about Adam and Warner fed my curiosity and made me wonder which guy will I side with. And after reading... I am still torn. No, not really. I'm actually leaning towards Warner. Despite being introduced as a villain, there is something in him that convinced me that there's more than meets the eye. He was such a complex character that I can't seem to hate. There were instances that hinted about Warner's true self, although not fully revealing it, and it made me believe that he's actually good. He's just...lost.

But despite wanting Juliette to end up with Warner, I still can't hate her interactions with Adam. They are actually sweet and spells out love. (But come on, Warner here!) Adam actually reminds me of Alex from Delirium. He's working for the government but he's actually against their beliefs.

I can't wait to read the next books. Maybe my couple will have a HEA. Maybe the ending will break my heart.