Thursday 2 May 2013

Review: The One That I Want

The One That I Want
Title: The One That I Want
My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Gemma can’t believe her luck when the star football player starts flirting with her. Max is totally swoon-worthy, and even gets her quirky sense of humor. So when he asks out her so-called best friend Addison, Gemma’s heartbroken.

Then Addison pressures Gemma to join the date with one of Max’s friends. But the more time they all spend together, the harder Gemma falls for Max. She can’t help thinking that Max likes her back—it’s just too bad he’s already dating Addison. How can Gemma get the guy she wants without going after her best friend’s boyfriend?





Review:

After reading some books that put me on edge, The One That I Want is definitely what I needed. It’s light to read and really inspiring to young girls. 

Gemma might not be part of the popular crowd but she definitely tries to fit it. She’s not the ‘screw-them-I-don’t-care’ type. She actually lost weight and auditioned for the marjorette squad. After all the discouragements she experienced along the way, I just can’t help but cheer for her. 

One of the reasons why she’s been through all that was her so-called best friend, Addison. I really don’t understand why she’s still with her for years. She’s not just the typical backstabbing best friend the world usually offers. She’s the worst of them all. She’s manipulative and doesn’t conceal how she boss around Gemma just to get what she wants. There was a part where it was mentioned that her family was bankrupted and Gemma’s family was the one that sort-of helped them out which made me think that it’s Gemma who is part of the elite group. Her family is filthy rich while Addison’s is trying to get back to their ‘society’. 

When Gemma became friends with Delilah, I actually thought she’d finally ditch Addison but nooooooooooooo! She has to go through all of Addison’s tricks even with the guy they met at the marjorette camp. You see Addison loves to be the center of attention. 

What saddens me is that while Gemma is trying so hard to fit in, she forgot to care about little things that used to matter to her. Like her mother’s cobbler and Max and their feelings for each other. She was blinded by her hate that she forgot to notice other good things around her. 

The football game was something I was waiting for since I started reading it. There was a part where Gemma finally ditched Addison and she finally told the world and Max how proud she was to be his girlfriend. 

As my first Echols book, I would definitely read her other books. This is a stress-reliever.