Wednesday 15 May 2013

Review: Destroy Me

Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
Title: Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.




Review:
Empathy is not an emotion I've ever known, but now it's drowning me, pulling me into a world I never knew I could enter.

So far, I've been a good judge of character and I'm glad Warner didn't proved me wrong. All my suspicions and gut feeling about his character were all right. If in the first book, I compared him to Draco Malfoy, this book proved that he is indeed the muggle version of Draco.

To those who hated Warner and thought he was a monster in Shatter Me, here you will see the human side of Warner. Here you will see his reaction towards Juliette's betrayal when she pulled the trigger while they were kissing.

Sometimes I wish I could step outside of myself for a while. I want to leave this worn body behind, but my chains are too many, my weights too heavy.

Behind the ruthless leader of Section 45, lies a vulnerable person who knows nothing about friendship, love and empathy. The struggle he felt between doing what he was taught all his life and what he think is right was one of his greatest dilemma. He's been following his father's instructions and instilling fear to his soldiers but there were times when what he does actually has an explanation. An explanation he keeps to himself. After reading this novella I can say that Warner is broken just like Juliette. As what he pointed out after he read her journal, they are quite the same. He's a prison in his own world, built by his father.

This made me believed more in Warner and wished that Juliette would choose him. I know this might lead me into heartbreak when Juliette picks Adam. That maybe all that Juliette could offer is her friendship and understanding but would still love and pick Adam in the end. But Juliette, as cliche as it may sound, is what Warner needs. She's the only person who managed to break his defenses down and made him feel something. Maybe in some stories, the good guy gets the girl but Warner deserves this after all he's been through.