Thursday 30 May 2013

Review: Champagne Toast

Champagne Toast (Love of My Life)
Title: Champagne Toast
Author: Melissa Brown
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N

Kate Armour and Evan Maxwell fell hard and fast for each other while attending college. Their once passionate and loving relationship ended when old scars eventually tore them apart. Two years after their breakup, they're each struggling to piece together what went wrong in an attempt to move forward.

Kate, a no-nonsense bartender, must face her past while attempting to focus on her future.

Evan is stifled by his bitter heart, which threatens each and every relationship he attempts after walking away from Kate.

Will life offer them a second chance at love or are old patterns simply too hard to break?

Review:
“She frustrates the hell out of me. But, when all is said and done, I simply can't live without her.”

This is the first time I’ve read Melissa Brown’s novel and I was caught by surprise. I didn’t thought I was in for a roller coaster emotional ride with Kate and Evan. The writing made everything felt more real and made an impact emotionally. I kept hanging on every word and starting every chapter makes me anxious because I was looking out for the reason why they broke up.

I once thought that Beth from Dare You To had the crown in destroying her own happiness but Kate snatched it. Without a doubt, she was the most insecure character I ever read but despite how frustrating she was, I wanted her to realise she’s good enough and have her happy ending. I actually cheered for her.

Her relationship with Evan was a push and pull. They were obviously good for each other and he wants the best for her but due to her insecurities and doubts with herself, she caused a strain in their relationship. At first, I blamed her. Evan was obviously doing everything for her and wants the best for her but she kept on making an issue about small things. But the breakup part, for me, was Evan’s fault. There was a slight change with him since he started working and he himself started to doubt their relationship. He decided to walk away because of Kate’s history and his doubts. He didn’t even let her explain, when it’s evident how Kate is trying to change

The years after the breakup were the best part of this story. It let them think things through and grow up individually. Although they both tried to cope up with the big change in their lives, they haven’t really successfully moved on. Both have met great people, though I don’t really think Chelsea’s that great, their feelings for each other just won’t go away. Other characters in this book were also likeable and helpful.

What I liked about this was it wasn’t rushed. The healing wasn’t rushed. The reunion between Kate and Evan wasn’t rushed. And how Kate finally believed in herself and pursued what she loved wasn’t rushed. All of it was a process and Brown did it in an amazing, believable phase.

This book might be angst-filled but definitely passionate. It will break your heart, might make you want to tear out your hair from your hair, but will also make you fall in love.