Friday 15 March 2013

Review: The Opportunist

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1)
Title: The Opportunist
Author: Tarryn Fisher
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N

Synopsis: Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.


Review:

"I think that after the first time you give your heart away, you never get it back. The rest of your life is just you pretending that you still have a heart."


How am I suppose to start this? I have seen this book around my Goodreads dash but haven't paid enough attention to it until I read Rachel's review. She had a positive feedback about this and was able to convince me to give this a try. But I told myself not to dive into the book because from what I've gathered, this one's filled with high emotions and drama. Both were true: Rachel's word about it being good and how this book is filled with emotions. Thank god for my ever-supportive pillow who receives the fall of every tear.

While reading the first few chapters, I noticed that the way the author wrote and described were through emotions. She makes you feel it. At that instant, I already knew that I had to get ready so I won't be caught off guard when things start to get rough. And let me tell you, it's not easy. I felt anxious even at the very first chapter.

"I was a relationship retard. I kicked, shoved and punched people out of my life, so they never had a chance to hurt me."
Olivia was a character you'd hate and love at the same time. I can't say I approve of what she was doing but I kinda understood where it came from. She was an epitome of what people are willing to do in the name of love. But what she did during their college days just to get Caleb was a bit disgusting for her character. I hated how she went through all of it. She shouldn't have pushed him away, only to find herself going through any lengths just to have him back.

"Because I cared more about knowing you than I did about winning another game."
At first, I had a hard time seeing Caleb as someone who sleeps with random (not really) girls from school and the really sweet Caleb who went through all that trouble for Olivia. He's like a combination of good and bad. But I guess that's what love does to him... And he definitely went through a lot of trouble, even after they broke up, just for her.

So far, Leah is still under 'dislike' while I was reading this book. Her character wasn't given much emphasis but it did gave readers a glimpse of her personality. I say she and Olivia are quite similar in some cases.

"Because from approximately twelve hours of knowing you, I have decided that I will never forget you, even if we never speak another word to each other. You leave a very strong impression. I can only imagine how that poor bastard feels after so many years of keeping company with you."
"Fight clean. Be honest. That's the way you'll win him back. But, if you see that he's truly happy, leave him be."
"There is more to loving someone than just making yourself happy. You have to want him to be happier than you are."
One of my favorites was Noah. As what Stacia mentioned, he reminds me of Loring from How to Kill a Rock Star. He was the other guy who can be the reason why our lead character might not end up together. The other guy I should dislike but I cannot. He was sweet and honest. Not to mention that he was able to make Olivia realise something about her feelings for Caleb.

This has been a crazy reading experience. The story was something new to me. And I did enjoy the fun of not knowing what's next or guessing it just to be proven wrong. Know what's funny? It actually made me believe about soul mates, especially in the last chapter.