Friday 30 March 2012

Review: Pandemonium

 Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
Author: Lauren Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, 

pushing aside thoughts of Alex, 

pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, 

push, 

push, 

push, 

like Raven taught me to do.

The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame. 



Review:

[with mild spoilers]


I really liked the sort-of innocent Lena compared to the rebel one. I loved reading the one who knows that she believes in everything that contradicts to what the government says but not the vicious, warrior type of rebel. But I kind of understand where this attitude came from.

Looking back at what happened in Delirium, Lena went through a lot just to gain the freedom but even that wasn't handed to her sweetly. She lost something to gain it and it definitely affected her big time.

I love reading the flashback scenes compared to the present ones. It's like Lena was a completely different person in the present. What I like about it is how Oliver made it possible for us readers to feel what would they feel in the situation; almost, if not exact. I felt the struggle, not just Lena's but also other characters, in the flashbacks. And I felt serious irritation in the present scene.

I honestly hated Lena at some parts. I wouldn't go into much detail but I'm pretty sure that you'd feel the same way if you read it.

Julian on the other hand was considered a threat for me since the first time he was described in the book. I don't find him handsome at all. In fact, I find him childish. I know he doesn't know the truth about Deliria and he believes in everything his father says but even Lena didn't acted that way in the first book. He kind of lost the effect of his masculinity every time Lena helps him. I know Lena has more experience but he's the guy in the picture. It's like she needs to take care of him to keep him alive.

Oliver effectively made me feel hate towards the scenes and characters without the want to put down and abandon the book. No matter how much it pissed me, I still can't stop reading it towards the end.

And the ending.. oh my gosh. I can't even start to describe how nervous I felt towards it. I was punching my pillow for the whole scene and it left me with burning anticipation to read the third book.