Saturday 10 March 2012

Review: The Fault in Our Stars

 The Fault in Our Stars   
Author: John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



Review:
"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you." - Gus


I was skeptical with this book because I never liked reading books about people with cancer but John Green wrote it amazingly, I don't think I'd be able to put it down the moment I opened it even though I'm done with it.

I had my mind set that I should be ready for Hazel's passing by the end of the book. I had this thought ever since I started reading it but there was one hell of a twist that made me want to scream "No!" in a very not-so-lady-like fashion.

This book tugged my heart since the fourth chapter and again, John Green didn't failed to make the readers feel a rush of emotions through his words. I felt like I was there, feeling what the character felt at that moment. John Green wrote about cancer in a way me, as a teen, would appreciate and not the formal ways others does; or like how others make it like the character is a really good person, like how Hazel describes it. He successfully made me feel everything with just the use of his simple words. The metaphors used in this book is astounding.

Every character will leave it's mark after you've known each one of them. Each has it's own characteristic that you'll love or probably hate but still define them among the others. Hazel, Gus and Isaac made want to own their burden. At the end of the book, I can't stop but question everything like it's not fictional story at all. It's just unfair.

After reading this book, I felt drained and spent after crying and taking in every detail and words I've read. It's heavy and it transformed me into a bawling machine but I'd read this book over and over again without regrets. After reading this book, I had my mind set that I would find my own Augustus Waters.