Monday 16 January 2012

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why
   
Author: Jay Asher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.

Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .

. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.



Review:

I believe every action someone does would create a great effect on one person no matter how small it is or if it was just a joke or something serious. This novel proved me that.

I was drawn to read this because of the subject it talked about: suicide. I expected it to be all sad and depressing but it was not. It was realistic and I love how the author gave us a glimpse in what might be happening inside the victim's mind.

But although the plot was amazing, I feel like there could be so much more with the way it was written. It didn't give off any emotions expect guilt for me because the sentences convey less emotions. I did not feel the pain Hannah felt and that was what I have been looking for. It's just straight to the point.

But on the other note, I believe suicide is an unanswered call for help and in this novel, what the others did to Hannah is not that enough for her to take her life but it was enough for her to feel useless, worthless and unwanted; even she can't accept herself. I wish people who did those things to her thought about the effect, even if it's just a small amount of anger or pain. And I wish Mr. Foster and Clay insisted to help her, and didn't wait for her to actually say, "Hey, I need help cos I'm thinking about killing myself."

Judgments aside, this novel scared me. Not that I'm scared of dying, no. It scared me about my own actions and its effect to other people. And it scares me because it slapped me the truth of what I can do to myself. She didn't even have a psychological disorder, and she was able to take her life. What about me? And what happens after I die? Should I also leave something, a CD or letter perhaps explaining to everyone? What will happen next?

This novel awakens every person's sensitivity towards others and maybe opens their eyes for them to look out for others.