Friday 20 January 2012

Review: Suicide Notes

 Suicide Notes   
Author: Michael Thomas Ford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Synopsis: I'm not crazy. I don't see what the big deal is about what happened. But apparently someone does think it's a big deal because here I am. I bet it was my mother. She always overreacts.
Fifteen-year-old Jeff wakes up on New Year's Day to find himself in the hospital. Make that the psychiatric ward. With the nutjobs. Clearly, this is all a huge mistake. Forget about the bandages on his wrists and the notes on his chart. Forget about his problems with his best friend, Allie, and her boyfriend, Burke. Jeff's perfectly fine, perfectly normal, not like the other kids in the hospital with him. Now they've got problems. But a funny thing happens as his forty-five-day sentence drags on—the crazies start to seem less crazy.

Compelling, witty, and refreshingly real, Suicide Notes is a darkly humorous novel from award-winning author Michael Thomas Ford that examines that fuzzy line between "normal" and the rest of us.


Review:
I admit, I read this book because of my obsession with suicide notes and I expected this book to be sad or depression but actually it's not.

Jeff, a 15-year-old kid was confined in a Psychiatric Ward because he tried to killed himself. The reason? He just felt like doing it.. until he finally realised why he slash his wrists on New Year's Eve.

I love the way Ford wrote Jeff in a very witty and sarcastic manner. You'll definitely find yourself laughing while reading lines by Jeff and his description on some things in the ward.

Somehow, it's also self awakening because there are things about ourselves that we do not know until one day it will hit us like a high speed bus on the highway. Jeff doesn't have any reason at first- or that was what he believed in until he tried to recall what happened that night and the reason why slashing his wrists seems to be a good idea at that time.

I wish he and Allie, his best friend talked though. I really want to know what happened to their friendship after he was released from the 45-day program.

It talks about self-discovery, self-awakening, acceptance.