Tuesday 18 March 2014

Review: Such a Pretty Girl

Hello, everyone! I'm baaaaccccck! Finally, it's the last week of school and I'm looking forward to more books and more blogging time. Wow. I seriously miss setting up posts. This time it's official and I'm hoping I won't miss posting days.



Such a Pretty Girl
Title: Such a Pretty Girl
Author: Laura Wiess
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.

Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.

Today her time has run out.







Review:
“And I don’t want to be hurt anymore. I want to be someone who makes it through.”

Such a Pretty Girl was one of those books that make your skin crawl while making your stomach churn at the same time. I was constantly on edge while reading the book despite having an idea what happened to Meredith. I was both worried about what will happen to her whenever she’s with her father in the same room and at the same time conscious in case she’ll finally tell the whole story about what happened to her.

The way it was narrated felt sometimes off because of the short sentences but the emotion it had brought a really good picture of Meredith. There’s that flame in her that keeps her fighting but there’s also helplessness. Despite showing that strong front, I also sensed that she needed help and somewhere to run to. I love how the author showed two sides of her character.

I can’t start to imagine how awful her father is, but this despite this I hated her mother more. I hate mothers who can’t defend their child. I also hate it when they see their child as a competition when it comes to her husband’s awful attention. In this case, Meredith’s mother was both. It was so sad and frustrating to read how she treats her daughter and how she throws herself to husband. Somehow, it reminded me of Eleanor’s mother from Eleanor & Park but this one’s worse.

As I scan the notes I took while reading this book, I realized that I have nothing much to say except that it managed to get this reaction in me. It's not for the faint-hearted. It’s revolting—not the book but the story—but at the same time, it’s something you would want to finish. You would definitely want to know what happens to Meredith at the end. The last part was perfect. It didn’t give deep explanation how it happened but when it did, you can’t question it anymore. You can only be happy for Meredith and for Andy.











Laura Wiess is the author of the critically acclaimed novels Such a Pretty Girl, chosen as one of the ALA’s 2008 Best Books for Young Adults and 2008 YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers, and Leftovers. Originally from Milltown, New Jersey, she traded bumper-to-bumper traffic, excellent pizza, and summer days down the shore for scenic roads, bears, no pizza delivery, and the irresistible allure of an old stone house surrounded by forests in Pennsylvania’s Endless Mountains Region.