Tuesday 3 September 2013

Review: Slammed

Slammed (Slammed, #1)
Title: Slammed (Slammed #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
My Rating: 4.5 out of 4 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD


Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


Review:
“Sometimes life doesn't happen in chronological order.”

I read Slammed because the good feedback and not because I was into this kind of story. Honestly, I am part of those few who cringe from time to time when I read or watch something that involves a teacher-student relationship. But I can't deny that I was also curious about slam poetry and why this story was such a hit. Happy to say that after reading this, Layken's story reached within me and despite my reluctance about her relationship with Will, I found myself wishing for her happy ending.

I bet it's the way Hoover wrote it. For a story I was wary about, it's really amazing how the author can distract me from the reasons why I was in doubt and sucked me into the story. She made me feel Layken's feelings. Every frustration, every doubt and every longing was there, almost leaping out of the page. True to it's title, it definitely slammed me with emotions. Although there was an insta-love involved, Hoover manage to spin it around and made everything go along with it. Sure, the first date was creepy for me but Will's forwardness was what made him different in Layken's eyes.

The characters felt so real and tangible. Situations might got frustrating but they never did. Layken's character was just admirable. With everything she went through, I can't believe she hasn't gave up yet. She was both tough and vulnerable at the same time. What I love most about her is her big heart and how intense she is when it comes to love, whether it involves her family or a guy.

Will was someone I'd love to meet in real life. He is oozing with passion in his chosen art of slam poetry and of course when it comes to someone he loves and cares about. His dedication to his brother and ability to put everything before himself was more than admirable. I am glad to be swooned by a guy who's has the typical bad boy image.

Will and Layken's attraction towards each other, even for the first time, was intense. I don't think butterflies gave justice to it -- pterodactyls might do the job. What I was glad about them was their restraint. Holding back would be so difficult when the person lives in front of your house, your brothers are inseparable, and you see each other at school every day. Despite the thrill it might give, I don't think I'd love having them sneak around like most couples do in other books with this kind of relationship. The whole time they were trying so hard to stop their hands from reaching towards each other made up for the insta-love at the beginning. It gave them more development and deepened their connection. Other characters were adorable too, especially the kids and Eddie. They balanced the drama and the romance that set things in perfect harmony.

I never expected this book to make me cry but it did. Written in simple words, Hoover weaved a beautiful story that appealed to my heart. Slammed is one of those unforgettable books that made me believe that even though life kicked the shit out of you, you can still rise and find happiness. This is a story about true love.