Wednesday 21 August 2013

Review: Thief

Thief (Love Me With Lies, #3)
Title: Thief (Love Me With Lies #3)
Author: Tarryn Fisher
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N

Note to Self

Love is patient; love is kind.
Love doesn't boast or brag.
There's no arrogance in love;
it's never rude, crude, or indecent-it's not self absorbed.
Love isn't easily upset.
Love doesn't tally wrongs.
Love trusts, hopes, and endures no matter what.
Love will never become obsolete.
I'll fight for her.

Thief

Caleb Drake never got over his first love. Not when he got married. Not when she got married. When life suddenly comes full circle Caleb must decide how how far he is willing to go to get the aloof and alluring Olivia Kaspen back. But for every action in life there is a consequence, and soon Caleb finds out that sometimes love comes at an unbearably high price.

Review:
“I wanted every last beautiful flaw. I wanted the witty one-liners and the coldness that only I knew how to warm. I wanted the fight and the friction and the make-up sex. I wanted her to wake up in my bed every morning. I wanted her shitty cooking and her beautiful, complex mind.” 

It feels like I’ve read The Opportunist yesterday and now I am done with Thief. After reading Dirty Red, I planned to re-read the first two books before reading Thief. When the blurb and the rumour came out, I was so hyper that I told myself to re-read and review some notes I’ve made before. The next day, Thief was release and all my plans were thrown out of the window. 

Everyone anticipated reading from Caleb’s POV and see things from his perspective, and Fisher gave us what we wanted and so much more. My heartbeat raced with every page I turned. Compared to the first two books, this was more subtle and calmer. Maybe it was because this was from a male’s POV and females tend to be more dramatic. But despite its subtlety and calmness, almost every line was still a kick in the gut and a grip on ones heart. It still pulled me emotionally and sometimes managed to knock the wind out of me like the first two books but at the same time it was different. Fisher did a great job in differentiating the characters but kept the same impact. 

When I read The Opportunist, I first sort of complained how easily Caleb changed from being a one-night stand kind of guy to someone who is so in love with Olivia. But seeing how things went through Caleb’s eyes from the very first time he saw her made the change of his attitude easier to understand. She was at first a challenge—someone brushed him off. It started that way but as cliché as it sound, it seems that Caleb met her match the day he found a girl frowning at a tree. One thing that was really noticeable in the series was the characters’ development. Olivia definitely matured since the first book and so did Caleb. I think the only person who didn’t changed was Leah but that was expected. She will always be a manipulative bitch. 

“I want your babies, and your anger, and your cold blue eyes. I want to go on anniversary dinners with you, I want to wrap Christmas presents with you. I want to fight with you about stupid things and then hold you down in my bed and make it up to you. I want to have more cake batter fights and camping trips. I want your future, Olivia.” 

Among everyone, Caleb most misinterpreted character in my opinion. I thought the purpose of reading Thief was to understand him and the reasons behind his actions but in reality, it was to get to know him. If you thought you know who Caleb Drake is before reading this, think again. I might have hated him at some parts while reading the first two books but I have fallen in love with him in this one. He appreciates Olivia despite her flaws and wasn’t out to change her. He embraced every part of her, no matter how twisted it was. He loved her no matter what she did and even though she broke his heart not just once. 

“You were supposed to marry me. That was supposed to be my baby.” 

Reading how Olivia suffered, even though it was already known from The Opportunist or was something new, was heart wrenching. Hearing for the first time that she wanted to have a family with Caleb, married with kids—that whole shindig—was painful as if I was Caleb and a part of me hated fate that it she didn’t get what she wanted. It was heartbreaking, especially reading about [spoiler]her miscarriages[spoiler]. 

This just solidified what Cammie said to Leah in Dirty Red. They are indeed inevitable. What they went through seems like the closest thing to the famous line, “you and me against the world.” Everyone wanted to keep them apart, either for their sanity and safety or for that person’s personal selfishness but as what Cammie said, “Their story will never be over.” 

Thief was a perfect conclusion to the epic love story of Caleb and Olivia. I especially loved the imperfect ending which made everything more realistic. [spoiler] Although I seriously hoped that they’d have a kid. [spoiler] I can’t believe I am saying goodbye to the characters I’ve spent days and hours thinking about; whether it’s about reading between their lines or forming theories or creating timeline of events. If you want believe in soul mates, if you believe about people being inevitable no matter what, then you should read this. Everyone should read this series so they can fall in love, have their hearts broken, cry, get angry, lose hope and fall in love once more.