Saturday 24 August 2013

Review: The Elite

The Elite (The Selection, #2)
Title: The Elite (The Selection #2)
Author: Kiera Cass
My Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

Review:
“..now that I knew what he meant to me, I was going to fight for him.” 

I don’t think this will be a formal review. This will be more of a rant, mainly about America. 

America.. I don’t know if this girl can ever make me totally like her. In the first book, she whined too much. But in this one, her whining came with a stronger spirit that made her character stronger and fiercer. Unfortunately, her confusion compared to the previous book was worse. In the first book, her confusion between Aspen and Maxon was understandable but in this one, she seems to play ping pong with the two of them. One moment she’ll be head-over-heels over Maxon but would jump to Aspen’s arms the next. And she had the nerve to be jealous towards Maxon and other girls. There were parts where I was cheering for her and urging her to fight and push back more but there were parts where I want to rip my hair out of my head because of frustration. 

But other than her, everything significantly improved since The Selection. The action I’ve been looking for since the first book was definitely there, but I wish the kingdom would fight back—or maybe they are fighting back but what’s usually mentioned is what they do when they’re hiding in the palace’s safety house. 

Maxon’s character also improved and he is definitely unpredictable. He managed to surprise me in where I least expect it. He also had some character more than he used to. I have a feeling that I am being bias with him, though I don’t know why. 

Among other character, it was still Aspen that intrigued me. There is something in him that I can’t point out and I have a bad feeling about it. [spoiler] As in him being part of the rebels. [spoilers] But this bad feeling is something I want to happen to make things more exciting. I really think that there’s something more than America being in the palace that made him work there as a soldier. 

At this point, I am looking forward to know more about the rebels and the king’s connection to everything. But I seriously hope that America would irritate me lesser than she did in the past two books. 

See. I told you this would be more of a rant.