Title: A Brand New Ending
Author: S.A. Rolls
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Cover Design: Mayhem Cover Creations
“Death captures the dying, but sorrow steals from those left behind.”
I admit I am not a fan of the first part of this book. The way things were narrated seems mechanical and mostly told, not shown. It’s like the character tells the reader the step-by-step process of how they get through their day. There were also some parts that felt dragging and unnecessary.
Another thing that bothered me was the instant pull of the characters towards each other. I am not a fan of insta-love and although it wasn’t love at first, their attraction towards each other or the way it was described was just sappy. I thought that if this was PNR, I would let it pass since anything could be explained by something that is not normal and usually out-of-this-world.
But then the second half came and I finally liked Phoenix and Braeden. Maybe my delayed reaction to them was because I find it hard to connect with them with the alternating POV. I also can’t find the fluidity between scenes at the early part. I find it hard to imagine a gentle Braeden as an aide and the Braeden that drinks with his friends and sprouts the F word all the fucking time.
I think it helped to know them more in the later part because they were now open to each other. They both started to share what they felt and what they’ve been through. Phoenix started to learn how to trust people around and Braeden started to share his scars with her. I can say that I didn’t know them at all until they were together together.
Just when I finally felt connected to the story, the last three chapters threw a curve ball and totally surprised me. It explained the instant pull I was ranting about at the early part. It was unexpected, really good and brought more to the story despite it being in the last part.
If you are reading this or planning to but worried about the first part I am talking about, just continue. It gets better, I swear. Another book that made me believe that soul mates might be real after all.
A Brand New Ending Playlist
As many authors and readers know, music is a large part of the writing process. Songs bring up emotions and were very much behind the inspiration in almost every scene in ABNE.
Here is a list of the ones I mostly had on repeat throughout the whole adventure. Some of these songs had direct influence on what happened in a scene while some other created happy, sadness, etc. inside me.
1. "Golden Gate Jumpers" by Cold War Kids
2. "What Lies Beneath" by Breaking Benjamin
3. "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons
4. "Fix Me" by 10 Years
5. "Dear Agony" by Breaking Benjamin
6. "Running" by Rebelution
7. "Save Me" by Shinedown
8. "Reap" by the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
9. "C'est La Vie" by Protest The Hero
10. "Never Too Late" by Three Days Grace
11. "For You" by Staind
12. "Last To Know" by Three Days Grace
13. "Savior" by Breaking Benjamin
14. "No One's Gonna Love You" by Band of Horses
15. "Right Here Waiting" by Staind
16. "Your Guardian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
About the Author
S.A Rolls is a native of the Bay Area, where she attended culinary school and obtained a degree in baking and pastry. When she is not baking, she spends her time reading and writing. She reads anything - from biographiesof her favorite president to the most popular YA series. Inspired by her surroundings, she has written her firstnovel, based in San Francisco, her favorite city. She currently lives with her boyfriend and their five-year-old pug.
*Win a signed paperback of A Brand New Ending*
*Open to US residents only*
• www.cblreviews.com [review]
• http://wintrywords.blogspot.com [promo]
• http://sweettreatblogblog.wordpress.com/ [review]
• http://the-book-diaries.blogspot.com/ [promo]
• http://www.readingrenee.com [review]
• http://www.bookaddict24-7.tumblr.com [promo]
• http://thebrokebookbank.blogspot.com/ [promo]
• lovenbooks.com [review]
• http://momwithakindle.blogspot.com [promo]
• ourreadingworld.blogspot.com [promo]
• itlnbrt.com [promo]
• http://ssbookfanatics.blogspot.com [promo]
• tiffanytalksbooks.com [promo]
• http://lmdqueen.blogspot.com/ [promo]
• www.hardcovertherapy.com [review]
• http://theshortone08.blogspot.com/ [review]
• http://weaklingno14.blogspot.co.uk [review]
• http://booktobookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/ [review]
• www.littlebookwormreviews.blogspot.com [review]
• www.Twogirlsreading.blogspot.com [review]
• http://fandomfanatic.blogspot.com/ [promo]
• http://www.readeatdream.com/ [review]
• http://www.imsimplydebbie.com [review]
• http://www.pamelaforeman.com [promo]
• www.mybookmuse.com [review]
• http://www.abookishescape.com\ [review]
• http://livereadbreathe.blogspot.ca [review]
• http://happy-in-between.blogspot.ca/ [review]
• http://ajcarmicheal.com/blog [review]
• www.faerietalebooks.org [review]
• Loungingwithlindsey.blogspot.com [review]