Tuesday 24 June 2014

Snark Fest: Thoughts on the Delirium Pilot

Hello, everyone! I know that I've been mostly MIA this year and I'm having a hard time balancing my schedule but I have to take time to react to this one. I know you're wondering what made me go out of my cave, so I'll cut the chase.

(photo credit: Epic Reads)

Last June 20, the Delirium pilot was released in Hulu. But unfortunately, it's only available for those who are from the US. Harsh, right? Fortunately for us, it was also uploaded on Youtube. For those of you who don't know (why, I don't want to know), this TV series was based on Lauren Oliver's Delirium trilogy. And just for everyone's knowledge, I loved the books (except the last one). Before it was rejected by FOX, I already had some issues about it (i.e., Julian being present and being paired with Hana). Looking back, I should have read that article before watching the show because most of my snarks were because of what was mentioned there, but what's done is done.


Below is my blow-by-blow reactions while watching Delirium Pilot. Spoilers ahead so read at your own risk. If you haven't read the book, you will be spoiled. If you haven't watched the pilot, you will be spoiled.. But I think it could also help if you're not sure if you want to watch it or not.

(0:10) I don't like the voice over. I haven't imagined anything but Emma Roberts's voice doesn't seem to fit Lena's in my imagination.

(2:54) It's weird seeing Julian here. And I like Gregg Sulkin but I don't think he's a good match for the character..? He's short with a slightly stocky build. I imagined Julian to be a bit leaner.

(3:10) I like the coloring though. It’s dystopia-esque but it’s like a movie, not a TV show. Or maybe that's just because I haven't seen a TV show that looks like this.

(3:32) I don’t like that they immediately revealed Alex’s involvement with the rebels. And, ugh- Daren Kagasoff.. you’re handsome, but you’re not Alex. Again, I imagined a leaner person with a bit of muscles but- ugh, I can’t explain it.

(5:18) "I love you. Remember, Lena." Um, would it hurt for them to follow the exact line? It’s not that long. :( This is like my issue with what Adam said in If I Stay.

(7:25) Jeanine Mason is a bit chubby here compared to her episode in Awkward. Was Hana supposed to look like this? Or maybe I find her head a bit small for her body…

(11:55) I suddenly want to have those three dots tattooed behind my ear.

(12:30) So maybe it’s a plot device or something to emphasize that Lena and Alex are on two opposite sides, but I really don’t like that the world (read: audience) knows that Alex is a rebel.

(14:50) Okay, so maybe Alex is handsome if he’s not in his cop uniform.

(18:50) I hate how my brain is still trying to follow the book. I think it’s one of my biggest hurdles in while watching this.

(18:55) But it’s so fast! No build up or UST (unresolved sexual tension) whatsoever. They just kissed, without me feeling something. Super meh.

(19:36) Nice ceiling, Lena.

(20:55) I should like the fact that they paired Julian with Hana so Alex won’t have a competition but I don’t like it. It’s a bit weird… Although I feel more chemistry between them compared to Alex and Lena. I even think I like Hana compared to Lena, and that’s saying something.

(24:52) MAJOR SNOOZE FEST! I can’t wait for this to be over.

(24:52) “Does it hurt?” She was bitten by a dog, dude. What do you think?

(27:25) So this is Fred Hargrove.

(30:26) Rushed. Meh.

(31:21) Ooh, so Mr. Fine’s Sunny is Sen. Hargrove.

(33:31) Huh? The one in prison was Lena’s dad, not her mom? Why would they even change that? I like her mother’s character more and it shows how imperfect the cure was and how strong love is. She was a badass.

(36:19) Emma Roberts and flannel shirts. <3

(42:15) I’m supposed to feel something! I’m supposed to feel something! WHERE DID MY FEELINGS GO? That was the most anti-climactic ending ever!!! I went crazy over this scene and they just did that? Did I get robbed of my feelings while sitting through this snooze fest???

Daren and Emma didn't have any chemistry at all! It's like they didn't went into screen test. While reading the comments on Youtube, I wonder which part did people liked when they said that this rocked because it didn't. I wasn't even half way through it and I was already dying for it to end.

Bottom line:  I reaaaaally tried so hard to like this, but I understand why it was rejected. They crammed the whole book in one episode and they changed a lot of things. They should have made this into a movie instead, with better casting.

Final words: You don't have to watch it. You can still live your life to the fullest without watching this.


Have you watched the Delirium Pilot? What do you think?