Tuesday 6 May 2014

Review: Ask Again Later

Ask Again Later
Title: Ask Again Later
Author: Liz Czukas
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | TBD

Despite what her name might suggest, Heart has zero interest in complicated romance. So when her brilliant plan to go to prom with a group of friends is disrupted by two surprise invites, Heart knows there's only one drama-free solution: flip a coin.

Heads: The jock. He might spend all night staring at his ex or throw up in the limo, but how bad can her brother's best friend really be?

Tails: The theater geek...with a secret. What could be better than a guy who shares all Heart's interests--even if he wants to share all his feelings?

Heart's simple coin flip has somehow given her the chance to live out both dates. But where her prom night ends up might be the most surprising thing of all...

Review:
“I couldn't seem to piece together everything that led to this moment, but I knew I didn't belong anywhere else.” 

My first thought when I read the first chapter was I feel you. The first chapter made that instant connection, and although my life is definitely not like Heart’s, reading this book feels like living it myself and therefore understand it. 

For someone who wants everything to be logical and have an explanation, it’s surprising that I just went along with this book’s format without asking how the hell did she get to live both decisions. It actually reminded me of Parallel minus the scientific explanation. It just happened and at some point near the end, what happened in heads and in tails kind of overlapped and eventually met. Each chapter was full of cuteness that made me grin so hard while reading it. 

This book has one of the ships I shipped so hard! There were hints dropped all over the place even at the first part of the book. I wasn’t even sure at first, but I still shipped Heart with him because it’s too adorable not too. I didn’t even feel that fear if your ship is not the endgame. (Yes, I’m crazy with my ships) I just loved their interactions and fate seems to bring them together on both sides of the coin. It was very well-paced and properly executed. 

I also loved the other characters, especially the gay couple. The other one coming out was a surprise to me so having him paired someone from the gang gave awesome fluffs in addition to the main romance in the story. The fact that they were a lot of secondary characters didn’t bother me. They didn’t really mix up and were properly placed in the story. 

I can’t say that this one is close to reality because I haven’t been to prom, but as far as my imagination goes, I think this nailed it. It has the right mix of fun, bad luck and romance. If you’re looking for a fluffy book that will make you laugh (out loud at some parts) and giddy over the characters, you should pick this one up. Ask Again Later is a perfect choice to de-stress and will make you like the idea of being stuck in a car trunk. 



Thank you, Dianne, for this wonderful surprise.








Liz Czukas is a freelance writer (on sometimes sad or boring topics), and also writes books for young adults (which are rarely sad and full of kissing). Before that, she was a nurse and she still kind of misses starting IVs.

She lives outside Milwaukee, WI with her husband, son and the world’s loudest cat. She types too loud (according to her husband), spends too much time on the Internet, and can’t get enough of disaster movies. There is *always* a song stuck in her head, and she once won a hula-hoop contest.