Thursday 3 October 2013

Review: Between Friends

Between Friends
Title: Between Friends
Author: Amanda Cowen
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon

The only way to have a friend is to be one…especially between the sheets…

When neurotically challenged and unlucky in love Megan Daniels, is propositioned by her life-long friend Ben Romano with a coin toss (heads, they sleep together, tails they don’t) the night before they are about to attend a destination wedding, she drunkenly accepts his challenge. But when Megan wakes up the next morning with a bad hang-over and Ben in her bed, she is more than mortified. It isn’t until the tropical heat begins to ignite emotions Megan never ever believed she could possibly have, that she starts to question if risking their friendship is the answer to finding true love.



Review:
“..at the end of the day, he was the one I called over all my worries; he was the one I shared all my secrets with; and he was the one I would drop everything for if I had too.” 

As a sucker for friends-to-lovers kind of stories, Amanda Cowen just gave me what I needed at the right time and so much more. Between Friends is fun, adorable, heartwarming but also a bit heartbreaking. 

It’s nice for us to see the easy friendship Ben and Megan shared before the whole mess started. It made it easy to pin point the changes that occurred after they slept together and damn, there were a lot. Obviously there were hidden feelings buried even before that night happened but the I-don’t-want-to-lose-my-friend thing overweighed everything. 

Megan was a good friend but definitely a pushover. As a girl, I was really sad to see her decisions and needs trampled by the people who surround her. My heart broke every time she faced uncertainty and insecurity about the real score between her and Ben. Though I really wanted her to get together with Ben, I also want to see her stand up for herself and that didn’t happened sooner than I wanted to. 

Ben was adorable. He’s been in love with his best friend for a long time and doesn’t want to fuck things up, but unfortunately he has no idea how to do that. He had his share of dalliances but it was obvious that Megan was different. Although it was a bit the same with [spoiler]what happened with Stephanie[spoiler] because he didn’t want to tell anyone, I do believe the intention was different. His big gesture on the last part was just swoon-worthy. Nothing beats a man who knows how to pack a really good surprise. 

What I didn’t liked in this story was their friends. The guys were okay, but the girls were just horrible. I don’t even understand why they all stayed friends for years. Jessica, her best friend was mean and pushy and it’s not just her being a bridezilla. They were selfish and doesn’t act as friends at all. They all expect Megan to bow down their whim and do what they all want to do. They all forgot to respect her decisions. Even the way Jessica pushes Steven to Megan is annoying, although Steven seems like a good man. 

This was what I needed when I was stressed with school and Cowen just handed it to me in a silver platter.